Make these quick pizza rolls, and get back to playing in the snow:)
Quite a few years ago, my family started the tradition of eating Pizza Roll-ups on snow days.
Snow days are a precious time in Memphis. They’re fickle at best and very rarely happen. Actually, the higher the forecasted chance of frozen precipitation, the less likely it will actually fall from the sky. Honestly, you’re more likely to see a polar bear within the city limits…since there is actually a polar bear at the zoo. However, on the few days a year when we wake up to backyards blanketed in two inches of white, we Memphians are prepared for the unexpected.
At the first whisper of snow, the whole town breaks into a palpable panic. The commute home takes twice as long, and every parking space at Kroger instantly fills. Since all Southerners know their cities don’t own snow plows, the fear of being trapped at home or work without food seems real. *Actually, we even apply this understanding to legitimately snow covered lands. I’ll never forget my family worrying by the windows one night watching snow fall in Aspen. We wondered how we would get to the airport the next day only to be astounded when a snow machine had cleared the driveway before sunrise. *
We also know that this frozen world never lasts long. Sometimes all accumulation melts by noon, so anyone wanting to sled has to start early and not waste time slipping and sliding on uncleared streets. This fleeting wonderland also doesn’t leave much time for cooking or eating a meal, which is why Pizza Roll-ups are the perfect solution. The comfort food combo of pizza and crescent rolls couldn’t be any cheaper, easier to prepare, or yummier…how could anyone turn down this cozy snow day fuel? Also, cleanup is a breeze, so even grownups can get outside for a snowball fight!
Memphians, if you’re already on your way to Kroger to stock up on milk and bread for the snowpocalypse, I would totally recommend adding the ingredients for snow day Pizza Rolls, too! For you non-Memphians, I’m sure Pizza Roll-ups taste great in any climate!
Recipe for Pizza Roll-ups
- 2 cans of Pillsbury crescent rolls
- 1 bag of mozzarella cheese sticks. Cut a few cheese sticks into inch long pieces. Cut these pieces lengthwise
- 1 box of pepperoni
- 1 jar of your favorite marinara sauce
- Preheat oven to temperature on crescent roll tube.
- Roll out crescent roll triangles on an ungreased cookie sheet. You may need two cookie sheets.
- Place two or three pepperoni on the widest part of the crescent roll triangle.
- Place one cheese stick piece on top of pepperoni (see below).
- Roll the crescent roll triangle into a crescent roll shape like usual, making sure to keep pepperoni and cheese inside.
- Place rolled up mini pizzas into the oven, and bake according to crescent roll tube instructions.
- While the mini pizzas are baking, warm marinara in a sauce pan.
- Serve cooked pizza roll-ups with warmed marinara as a dipping sauce.
Enjoy, and stay warm!